Skip To Main Content

Adult Student Rights for Special Education

This is an abbreviated summary of rights under state and federal law provided to students who are eligible to receive special education services. A more extensive description of these rights is available from your school district Special Education Office or the Ventura County SELPA Office, (805) 437-1560.


  1. You have a right to a free appropriate public education (FAPE) until the end of the semester you turn 22, or until you graduate, whichever comes first.
  2. You must be given the chance to participate in any meeting where decisions about your special education services are to be discussed, including your IEP (Individualized Education Program). The following people must be in attendance at your meeting, unless you and the district agree to excuse them: a representative of the school district, a general education teacher and a special educator.
  3. You have the right to receive a written notice, in your native language, when the school district wants to discuss a change to your special education services.

  4. If you wish to stop receiving special education and related services, you need to let the district know in writing, and they will discontinue the services. An IEP meeting is not needed. This may end your school program.

  5. You have a right to see, review and obtain copies of your educational records, and to have the records explained to you. A certain number of years after you leave public school, your educational records will be destroyed.

  6. You have a right to a due process hearing in order to resolve disagreements relating to your education.

  7. A student with a disability has specific rights when being considered for suspension beyond ten days, or for expulsion.